An iPhoneography painterly composite image. I was invited by AMPt (Advanced Mobile Photography Team) to contribute to their Jedi feature and created this image specifically for that purpose.

“Feature Jedi” – features established mobile artists

It’s no secret that there is already a growing list of seasoned mobile artists that create amazing images with mobile devices. Amazing in such a way that they challenge us to be better. These people mean something special to us. We wish we could have their art hanging up in our houses. The reason the mobile community has changed our lives so much is because of these people. They give us feedback, they build relationships with us, and most of all, they indirectly make us better photographers. They allow us to see their world through the screen of an iPhone. They allow us to see our world in a brand new way. AMPt calls these people: Jedi. They are the masters of their craft. They have the Force.

Again, the focus on Instagram is due to it being a great source of mobile photography talent; we are featuring these talents here and on our Google+ Page to help promote these fine artists outside the confines of IG.

iPhone photography apps used:

iPhoneography - through-the-arches

{ through the arches }

By

Process and apps used

6×6 ~ Initial capture (I used motion in the capture which is where all the image distortion was generated. Moving with a swift down up 180 degree motion clicking at approximately 90 degrees):

iPhoneography - 6x6

Snapseed ~ Rotate to straighten the image:

Snapseed - rotate

FrontView ~ Straighten verticals and alter perspectives:

Filterstorm ~ Crop retaining the 1:1 aspect ratio, clone to touch up where necessary and resize to 2,000 x 2,000 (I always try to get finished resolution set at an early stage so that other edits / layers are applied at the already established final resolution):

FrontView - perspectives

Camera+ ~ Crop the image to the figure and save a copy of just the figure:

Camera+ - crop

Filterstorm ~ Clone out the figure completely from the original image:

Filterstorm - clone

Superimpose ~ Re-add the figure back into the image but shifted right – purely for aethetic reasons:

Superimpose - figure

Rays ~ Enhance the light coming towards me through the arch:

Rays - light

Snapseed ~ Drama filter at 50% with saturation 100% and Vintage filter with standard pre-sets but texture boosted to 100%:

Snapseed - drama filter / vintage filter

Filterstorm ~ Clone in a shadow for the figure some of which had disappeared due to previous processing:

Filterstorm - shadow

Superimpose ~ Balloon added to the image from a different image:

Superimpose - balloon

BlurFX ~ Centre of ballon blurred to blend in with the background image more cleanly:

BlurFX - balloon

ScratchCam ~ stamp scratch and texture layers at individual opacity settings and finally as the image was already in ScratchCam I used it to reduce saturation by adding a B&W colours layer set at 50% opacity (approx):

ScratchCam - texture / saturation


 

x

[instapress url=”http://instagram.com/p/P5y77rwOg1/” size=”50px”] See ‘Through The Arches’ on @AMPt Instagram feed (new window)


 

Shortlink: http://wp.me/p31VpY-cJ


Related articles

If this article was of interest then these articles may also prove helpful.



4 Comments

  1. Phil Hearing says:

    This is one of the images I tried to do – I found out I wasnt as good at it as you ! 😉

  2. Robert Lancaster says:

    Hi Skip,
    Thanks so much for sharing your various workflows with us lesser mortals. I have learned so much from them over the last week.
    Regards,
    Robert Lancaster

Leave a Comment